Explore County

Environmental Health

We are responsible for permitting and inspecting all on-site wastewater treatment systems installed in Shelby County. We require and conduct percolation tests on all systems.

All new private water wells, heat pump wells, and monitoring wells are permitted and inspected. Prior to drilling, a site assessment is conducted. Another inspection is made upon completion of drilling. Water samples are collected from private wells and tested for coliform & E. coli bacteria and nitrates. There is no charge to the well owner for this service.

We administer the Department of Natural Resources water/well grant each year to Shelby County. This grant assists property owners with cost-share monies to properly plug abandoned wells. Property owners are reimbursed 75% of the cost of materials up to a set amount per well.

Our department investigates all environmental-related complaints, which may include: illegal dumping, illegal burning, improper dead animal disposal, burning of solid waste, and illegal discharge of sewage.

We are responsible for licensing and inspecting restaurants, grocery stores, convenience stores, bars, hotels, motels, vending machines, temporary events, and mobile food units. We conduct these inspections in 15 counties, including Adair, Adams, Audubon, Cass, Fremont, Guthrie, Harrison, Mills, Monona, Montgomery, Page, Pottawattamie, Shelby, Union, and Taylor County. Approximately 1600 establishments are based on risk inspections.

Shelby County conducts time of transfer inspections or the sale or transfer of property. We have a small backhoe to uncover the septic tank and distribution box if needed when inspecting the septic system. All wells are identified, sampled, inspected, and old solid waste dumping sites are identified.

Our department inspects municipal swimming pools, motel pools, spas, tanning beds, and tattoo parlors in Shelby Monona, Pottawattamie, and Harrison Counties.

In 2005, Shelby County adopted a radon ordinance that requires all newly constructed homes to include radon resistance features. Our office has radon kits available year-round for a minimal fee and offers handouts and technical advice concerning radon.

Applications & Forms Mobile Food Units Passports Programs Temporary Food Stands 

Environmental Health 's office staff includes:

Terri Daringer - Interim Director

Last updated on Dec 10th, 2021.

Contact Information

Terri Daringer

Shelby County

Interim Director

1411 Industrial Parkway

Harlan, Iowa 51537

Phone: 712.755.2609

Fax: 712.755.2519

Email: tdaringer@shco.org


Office Hours 

Mon - Fri: 8 am - 4:30 pm 

Shelby County Courthouse
612 Court Street
Harlan, Iowa 51537